Monday, August 8, 2011

Forest Bathing Update

**For an overview of shinrin-yoku- Japanese for "Forest Bathing" please see Dr. Sarah Cimperman's blog: A Different Kind Of Doctor**

It's been a beautiful summer for my dog and I. We made the journey from Southwest Colorado to New England and have been immersing ourselves in the natural landscape here. Some highlights for me have been watching dogger drink from a crevice in a tree just after a heavy rain and cooling himself with a swim in the pond I learned to skate on as a kid. Both our spirits soar as we explore the woods, saying hello to old friends and making new ones.
Our plant allies are very important to us and when I think about it in a broader perspective I recognize that we feel more comfortable when we're familiar with the plants around us. As we explore new places, there's a level of comfort that I am able to tap into when I can talk to the plants as friends. Even without verbal language, we acknowledge each other as I pass by. I miss them when we go a long time away from one another (shout out to mule's ear and banana yucca- I've been thinking of you guys!). As I reach this level of increased comfort levels, I am able to deal better with stressful situations, which in turn means that I enjoy better health because my body is able to work out issues sooner.
It is important that we feel comfortable when Forest Bathing. That level of comfort can be manifested in many ways. Group plant walks are a great way to do this- they can be an informal sharing of knowledge or a formal group meet-up with a designated guide. I have found that being alone in the woods is great for my Forest bathing exercises because I am easily distracted by other humans. Either talking or just tuning in to that person can take away from the depth of my immersion in the forest. I love hiking with dogger because we enjoy our independence but also care for one another and keep each other safe. When walking with a friend a good way to explore that type of relationship is to either walk a few yards away from one another or to take a social hike together that you designate a little solo time into, not wandering too far but just being quiet and tuning into, not one another, but what is happening in the forest all around you.
I have found that there's a change that seems to occur after about 45 minutes of being immersed in the forest. Around then is when I feel my body relax a little more, enough to awaken other senses. It's not as if I turn feral after a 45 minute walk in the woods but I do feel more wild, like I have received and shared enough information with the ecosystem I am in to feel like I belong there. When I say I talk to plants and I share information with an ecosystem, I don't want to sound esoteric- this is something everyone can do. In fact, we are all constantly sharing information with the world around us. A lot of this happens on a cellular level. We can feel our nervous systems react to differences in our environment and the more we listen to that, the easier it is to work with. Although many people enjoy speaking out loud with plants, it is not necessary in order to establish a relationship. Just being aware of the life around you and observing how different elements interact can bring a greater sense of peace and clarity.
Simply recognizing that everything around you is alive and connected to one another will help to recognize your own place in that web, greatly reducing stress and illness, and opening up creative channels of expression.

1 comment:

deirdre said...

Please feel free to share your own story of Forest Bathing! We all have wonderful experiences that can help each other learn more about our world and ourselves!